I replaced the pastry portion of this recipe with a light crepe-like cup. Baked in tiny oven-proof dishes, they're filled with cheese, leeks, scallions, olives and sun-dried tomatoes. My son, a vegetarian, always asks for them. —Joan Churchill of Dover, New Hampshire
- 1/4 cup sun-dried tomatoes (not packed in oil)
- 1/2 cup water, divided
- 3 eggs
- 6 egg whites
- 2 tablespoons minced fresh cilantro
- 4 teaspoons butter, melted
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 1/3 cup shredded provolone cheese
- 1 cup chopped leeks (white portion only)
- 2 green onions, chopped
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 2 tablespoons chopped Greek olives
- 2 teaspoons minced fresh oregano or 1/2 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1/4 cup grated Parmesan cheese
- 1 tablespoon honey
- Place tomatoes in a small bowl. Cover with 1/4 cup water; let stand 30 minutes.
- Meanwhile, in a large bowl, whisk eggs, egg whites, cilantro, butter, salt, pepper and remaining water.
- Heat an 8-in. nonstick skillet coated with cooking spray; pour about 1/2 cup egg mixture into center of skillet. Lift and tilt pan to evenly coat bottom. Cook for 1-1/2 to 2 minutes or until top appears dry; turn and cook 30-45 seconds longer or until set.
- Remove from pan and press into a 1-cup baking dish or ramekin coated with cooking spray. Repeat with remaining egg mixture, making three more omelet cups (coat skillet with cooking spray as needed). Sprinkle provolone cheese into cups.
- Preheat oven to 350°. Drain tomatoes; chop and set aside. In a large nonstick skillet, saute leeks and onions in oil until tender. Stir in tomatoes, olives and oregano; cook over medium heat 2-3 minutes. Spoon into omelet cups. Sprinkle with Parmesan cheese; drizzle with honey.
- Bake 10-12 minutes or until heated through. Yield: 4 servings.
Originally published as Savory Omelet Cups in Light & Tasty February/March 2006, p37
Enjoy this recipe with a sparkling wine.
Reviews for Savory Omelet Cups
Please Log In or Join to add a rating and review.
Click stars to rate
Any changes to your rating or review will appear where you originally posted your review