Savory Mustard Pork Roast Recipe
- 1 boneless pork shoulder butt roast (3 to 4 pounds)
- 3/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 1 tablespoon canola oil
- 1 can (14-1/2 ounces) diced tomatoes, drained
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 1 can (14-1/2 ounces) beef broth
- 1/2 cup dry red wine
- 3/4 cup stone-ground mustard
- 6 garlic cloves, minced
- 2 tablespoons honey
- 2 tablespoons molasses
- 1 teaspoon dried thyme
- 2 tablespoons cornstarch
- 2 tablespoons cold water
- 1. Sprinkle roast with salt and pepper; brown in oil in a large skillet on all sides. Transfer to a 5-qt. slow cooker. Add tomatoes and onion; pour broth and wine around meat. Combine the mustard, garlic, honey, molasses and thyme; pour over pork. Cover and cook on low for 6-7 hours or until meat is tender.
- 2. Remove roast; cover and let stand for 15 minutes before slicing. Meanwhile, skim fat from cooking juices; transfer juices to a small saucepan. Bring to a boil. Combine cornstarch and water until smooth; gradually stir into the pan. Bring to a boil; cook and stir for 2 minutes or until thickened. Slice pork and serve with sauce. Yield: 8 servings.
4 ounces cooked pork with 1/2 cup sauce equals 395 calories, 21 g fat (6 g saturated fat), 101 mg cholesterol, 1,103 mg sodium, 18 g carbohydrate, 2 g fiber, 31 g protein.
Reviews for Savory Mustard Pork Roast
Light-Bodied Red Wine
Enjoy this recipe with a light-bodied red wine such as Pinot Noir.