Savory Mushroom Bread Recipe
The hearty texture, rustic appearance and savory flavor make this yeast bread a winner with dinner guests time and time again. Nothing can compare to the heavenly aroma while it bakes.—Greg Hageli, Elmhurst, Illinois
TOTAL TIME: Prep: 35 min. + rising Bake: 20 min. + cooling YIELD:32 servings
- 1/4 cup butter, cubed
- 1 pound fresh mushrooms, chopped
- 1 medium onion, finely chopped
- 3 tablespoons soy sauce
- 2 packages (1/4 ounce each) active dry yeast
- 1 cup warm water (110° to 115°)
- 2 tablespoons plain yogurt
- 2 tablespoons honey
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 4-3/4 to 5-1/4 cups all-purpose flour
- 1. In a large skillet, melt butter. Add mushrooms and onion; saute until tender. Add soy sauce; cook and stir 2 minutes longer. Cool to room temperature.
- 2. In a large bowl, dissolve yeast in warm water. Add the yogurt, honey, salt, mushroom mixture and 2-1/2 cups flour. Beat until smooth. Stir in enough remaining flour to form a soft dough (dough will be sticky).
- 3. Turn onto a floured surface; knead until smooth and elastic, about 6-8 minutes. Place in a greased bowl, turning once to grease the top. Cover and let rise in a warm place until doubled, about 1 hour.
- 4. Divide dough in half; shape into loaves. Place in two greased 9-in. x 5-in. loaf pans. Cover and let rise until doubled, about 45 minutes. Bake at 400° for 20-25 minutes or until golden brown. Yield: 2 loaves (16 slices each).
1 slice equals 92 calories, 2 g fat (1 g saturated fat), 4 mg cholesterol, 172 mg sodium, 16 g carbohydrate, 1 g fiber, 3 g protein. Diabetic Exchange: 1 starch.
© 2014 RDA Enthusiast Brands, LLC