- 1/4 cup butter, cubed
- 1 pound fresh mushrooms, chopped
- 1 medium onion, finely chopped
- 3 tablespoons soy sauce
- 2 packages (1/4 ounce each) active dry yeast
- 1 cup warm water (110° to 115°)
- 2 tablespoons plain yogurt
- 2 tablespoons honey
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 4-3/4 to 5-1/4 cups all-purpose flour
- In a large skillet, melt butter. Add mushrooms and onion; saute until tender. Add soy sauce; cook and stir 2 minutes longer. Cool to room temperature.
- In a large bowl, dissolve yeast in warm water. Add the yogurt, honey, salt, mushroom mixture and 2-1/2 cups flour. Beat until smooth. Stir in enough remaining flour to form a soft dough (dough will be sticky).
- Turn onto a floured surface; knead until smooth and elastic, about 6-8 minutes. Place in a greased bowl, turning once to grease the top. Cover and let rise in a warm place until doubled, about 1 hour.
- Divide dough in half; shape into loaves. Place in two greased 9-in. x 5-in. loaf pans. Cover and let rise until doubled, about 45 minutes. Bake at 400° for 20-25 minutes or until golden brown. Yield: 2 loaves (16 slices each).
Originally published as Savory Mushroom Bread in Taste of Home's Holiday & Celebrations Cookbook Annual 2010, p167
Reviews for Savory Mushroom Bread
Please Log In or Join to add a rating and review.
Click stars to rate
Any changes to your rating or review will appear where you originally posted your review