Savory Mushroom-Barley Soup Recipe
- 4 cups water
- 3/4 cup uncooked medium pearl barley
- 4 medium onions, chopped
- 2 celery ribs, chopped
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1-1/2 pounds sliced fresh mushrooms
- 6 cups reduced-sodium beef broth or vegetable broth
- 2 cups sliced carrots
- 1 can (6 ounces) tomato paste
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 1/2 cup minced fresh parsley
- 1. In a large saucepan, bring water and barley to a boil. Reduce heat; cover and simmer for 30 minutes or until barley is partially cooked. (Do not drain.)
- 2. Meanwhile, in a soup kettle or Dutch oven, saute onions and celery in oil until tender. Add mushrooms; cook and stir for 5 minutes. Stir in the broth, carrots, tomato paste and barley mixture.
- 3. Bring to a boil over medium heat. Reduce heat; cover and simmer for 30 minutes, stirring occasionally. Stir in salt and pepper. Sprinkle with parsley. Yield: 10 servings (about 3-1/2 quarts).
One serving (1-1/2 cups) equals 136 calories, 2 g fat (0.55 g saturated fat), 3 mg cholesterol, 416 mg sodium, 26 g carbohydrate, 6 g fiber, 6 g protein. Diabetic Exchanges: 2 vegetable, 1 starch.