Savory Mediterranean Orzo Recipe
- 4 cups reduced-sodium chicken broth
- 1 package (16 ounces) orzo pasta
- 1 medium onion, finely chopped
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 4 garlic cloves, minced
- 2 cups (8 ounces) crumbled feta cheese, divided
- 1 package (10 ounces) frozen chopped spinach, thawed and squeezed dry
- 1 jar (7-1/2 ounces) roasted sweet red peppers, drained and chopped
- 1 small yellow summer squash, finely chopped
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon pepper
- 1. In a large saucepan, bring broth to a boil. Stir in orzo; cook over medium heat for 6-8 minutes. Remove from the heat.
- 2. In a small skillet, saute onion in oil until tender. Add garlic; cook 1 minute longer. Stir into orzo mixture. Stir in 1 cup cheese, spinach, red peppers, squash, salt and pepper.
- 3. Transfer to a greased 13-in. x 9-in. baking dish; sprinkle with remaining cheese. Bake at 350° for 20-25 minutes or until heated through. Yield: 12 servings (2/3 cup each).
2/3 cup equals 233 calories, 6 g fat (2 g saturated fat), 10 mg cholesterol, 554 mg sodium, 33 g carbohydrate, 3 g fiber, 10 g protein. Diabetic Exchanges: 2 starch, 1 vegetable, 1 fat.