If you like to celebrate the season by sampling flavors from around the world, you’ll love this Mediterranean side. The yellow summer squash, roasted red peppers and spinach yield specks of eye-popping color that makes this dish festive.—Kristi Silk, Ferndale, Washington
- 4 cups reduced-sodium chicken broth
- 1 package (16 ounces) orzo pasta
- 1 medium onion, finely chopped
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 4 garlic cloves, minced
- 2 cups (8 ounces) crumbled feta cheese, divided
- 1 package (10 ounces) frozen chopped spinach, thawed and squeezed dry
- 1 jar (7-1/2 ounces) roasted sweet red peppers, drained and chopped
- 1 small yellow summer squash, finely chopped
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon pepper
- In a large saucepan, bring broth to a boil. Stir in orzo; cook over medium heat for 6-8 minutes or until tender. Remove from the heat.
- In a small skillet, saute onion in oil until tender. Add garlic; cook 1 minute longer. Stir into orzo mixture. Stir in 1 cup cheese, spinach, red peppers, squash, salt and pepper.
- Transfer to a greased 13-in. x 9-in. baking dish; sprinkle with remaining cheese. Bake, uncovered, at 350° for 20-25 minutes or until heated through. Yield: 12 servings (2/3 cup each).
Originally published as Savory Mediterranean Orzo in Taste of Home Christmas Annual Annual 2010, p93
Reviews for Savory Mediterranean Orzo
Please Log In or Join to add a rating and review.
Click stars to rate
Any changes to your rating or review will appear where you originally posted your review