I came across this soup recipe years ago when I was looking for restricted diet foods. It's as good tasting as it is good for you.—Sue Murray, Hershey, Pennsylvania
Featured In: 51 Cozy Slow Cooker Soups
- 1 egg white
- 2 tablespoons quick-cooking oats
- 2 tablespoons nonfat Parmesan cheese topping
- 1/8 teaspoon Italian seasoning
- 1/8 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1/2 pound lean ground turkey
- 1 cup chopped onion
- 1 cup chopped celery
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 3 cans (14-1/2 ounces each) reduced-sodium chicken broth
- 1 can (28 ounces) no-salt-added diced tomatoes, undrained
- 1 can (6 ounces) tomato paste
- 1 cup chopped carrots
- 1 cup diced peeled potatoes
- 1/2 cup minced fresh parsley
- 1 teaspoon dried basil
- 1 teaspoon dried thyme
- 1 cup uncooked spiral pasta
- In a bowl, combine the first five ingredients. Crumble turkey over mixture; mix well. Shape into 3/4-in. balls. Place meatballs on a rack coated with cooking spray in a shallow baking pan. Bake, uncovered, at 350° for 20 minutes or until meat is no longer pink; drain.
- In a large saucepan coated with cooking spray, saute onion, celery and garlic until crisp-tender. Add broth, tomatoes, tomato paste, vegetables and seasonings. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat; cover and simmer for 30 minutes.
- Stir in pasta and meatballs. Cook, uncovered, over medium heat for 10-12 minutes or until vegetables and pasta are tender. Yield: 12 servings.
Originally published as Meatball Minestrone in Country Woman September/October 1999, p36
Reviews for Savory Meatball Minestrone
Please Log In or Join to add a rating and review.
Click stars to rate
Any changes to your rating or review will appear where you originally posted your review