A friend gave me this recipe after I had mentioned that my meat pies lacked "punch". The pie has a delicious, distinctive flavor thanks to lots of seasonings. Flecks of carrots peek out of each neat slice. My family especially enjoys this dinner when the weather turns chilly. -Paula L'Hirondelle, Red Deer, Alberta
Recommended: 36 Savory Suppertime Pies
- 2 medium potatoes, peeled and quartered
- 1 pound ground beef
- 3/4 cup sliced green onions
- 1 large carrot, finely chopped
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- 1/2 teaspoon dried thyme
- 1/2 teaspoon rubbed sage
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon pepper
- 1/4 teaspoon celery salt
- Pinch ground cinnamon
- 1/4 cup minced fresh parsley
- 1/4 cup chili sauce
- Pastry for double-crust pie (9 inches)
- 1 tablespoon Dijon mustard
- 1 tablespoon 2% milk
- In a saucepan, cook potatoes in boiling water until tender; mash and set aside.
- Meanwhile, in a large skillet, brown beef until no longer pink; drain. Stir in the next nine ingredients. Simmer for 4-5 minutes. Stir in the potatoes, parsley and chili sauce; remove from the heat.
- Place bottom pastry in a 9-in. pie plate; brush with mustard. Add the meat mixture. Top with remaining pastry; seal and flute edges. Cut slits in the top crust.
- Brush with milk. Bake at 450° for 10 minutes. Reduce heat to 350° bake 25 minutes longer or until golden brown. Yield: 6 servings.
Originally published as Savory Meat Pie in Taste of Home August/September 1998, p39
Reviews for Savory Meat Pie
Please Log In or Join to add a rating and review.
Click stars to rate
Any changes to your rating or review will appear where you originally posted your review
Reviewed Feb. 6, 2016
"My wife made this the month it was first published and my children and I both have wished she could make it once a week ever since. Good food!"
Reviewed Oct. 3, 2013
"Good, but I think I would leave the cinnamon out next time!"
Reviewed May. 26, 2009
"26g of fat in each slice!!WOW!"