- 2 medium potatoes, peeled and quartered
- 1 pound ground beef
- 3/4 cup sliced green onions
- 1 large carrot, finely chopped
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- 1/2 teaspoon dried thyme
- 1/2 teaspoon rubbed sage
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon pepper
- 1/4 teaspoon celery salt
- Pinch ground cinnamon
- 1/4 cup minced fresh parsley
- 1/4 cup chili sauce
- Pastry for double-crust pie (9 inches)
- 1 tablespoon Dijon mustard
- 1 tablespoon 2% milk
- In a saucepan, cook potatoes in boiling water until tender; mash and set aside.
- Meanwhile, in a large skillet, brown beef until no longer pink; drain. Stir in the next nine ingredients. Simmer for 4-5 minutes. Stir in the potatoes, parsley and chili sauce; remove from the heat.
- Place bottom pastry in a 9-in. pie plate; brush with mustard. Add the meat mixture. Top with remaining pastry; seal and flute edges. Cut slits in the top crust.
- Brush with milk. Bake at 450° for 10 minutes. Reduce heat to 350° bake 25 minutes longer or until golden brown. Yield: 6 servings.
Reviews for Savory Meat Pie
"My wife made this the month it was first published and my children and I both have wished she could make it once a week ever since. Good food!"
"This was very good. I made about 2/3 cup beef broth gravey to make it a bit moist. I served it with some beef gravy and the chili sauce. I didn't put the chili sauce in the pie. I loved the fresh parsley. Janet VFE"
"Good, but I think I would leave the cinnamon out next time!"
"26g of fat in each slice!!WOW!"