Savory Meat Pie Recipe
A friend gave me this recipe after I had mentioned that my meat pies lacked "punch". The pie has a delicious, distinctive flavor thanks to lots of seasonings. Flecks of carrots peek out of each neat slice. My family especially enjoys this dinner when the weather turns chilly. -Paula L'Hirondelle, Red Deer, Alberta
- 2 medium potatoes, peeled and quartered
- 1 pound ground turkey or beef
- 3/4 cup sliced green onions
- 1 large carrot, finely chopped
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- 1/2 teaspoon dried thyme
- 1/2 teaspoon rubbed sage
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon pepper
- 1/4 teaspoon celery salt
- Pinch ground cinnamon
- 1/4 cup minced fresh parsley
- 1/4 cup chili sauce
- Pastry for double-crust pie (9 inches)
- 1 tablespoon Dijon mustard
- 1 tablespoon 2% milk
- In a saucepan, cook potatoes in boiling water until tender; mash and set aside.
- Meanwhile, in a large skillet, brown beef until no longer pink; drain. Stir in the next nine ingredients. Simmer for 4-5 minutes. Stir in the potatoes, parsley and chili sauce; remove from the heat.
- Place bottom pastry in a 9-in. pie plate; brush with mustard. Add the meat mixture. Top with remaining pastry; seal and flute edges. Cut slits in the top crust.
- Brush with milk. Bake at 450° for 10 minutes. Reduce heat to 350° bake 25 minutes longer or until golden brown. Yield: 6 servings.
Originally published as Savory Meat Pie in Taste of Home August/September 1998, p39
Medium-Bodied Red Wine
Enjoy this recipe with a medium-bodied red wine such as Chianti, Sangiovese, Malbec or Zinfandel.
Reviews for Savory Meat Pie
Please Log In or Join to add a rating and review.
Click stars to rate
Any changes to your rating or review will appear where you originally posted your review
Sort By :
Reviewed Oct. 3, 2013
"Good, but I think I would leave the cinnamon out next time!"
Reviewed May. 26, 2009
"26g of fat in each slice!!WOW!"