Savory Meat Loaf Recipe
- 1 egg
- 1 cup fat-free milk
- 3/4 cup quick-cooking oats
- 2 slices bread, crumbled
- 1/2 cup finely chopped onion
- 1 teaspoon rubbed sage
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 1 pound lean ground beef (90% lean)
- 3/4 cup ketchup
- 1/2 cup water
- 2 tablespoons brown sugar
- 2 tablespoons cider vinegar
- 1 tablespoon Worcestershire sauce
- 1. In a large bowl, combine the first eight ingredients. Crumble beef over mixture and mix well. Shape into a loaf; place in an ungreased 11-in. x 7-in. baking dish.
- 2. In a small bowl, combine the ketchup, water, brown sugar, vinegar and Worcestershire sauce; pour over meat loaf. Bake at 325° for 1 to 1-1/4 hours or until meat is no longer pink and a meat thermometer reads 160°. Let stand for 10 minutes before slicing. Yield: 6 servings.
1 slice: 267 calories, 9g fat (3g saturated fat), 64mg cholesterol, 910mg sodium, 26g carbohydrate (0 sugars, 2g fiber), 21g protein. Diabetic Exchanges: 3 lean meat, 1-1/2 starch.
Reviews for Savory Meat Loaf
"Husband loved it! Left off topping and served with a brown gravey!"
"This is a family favorite."
"This is incredible! It tastes like heavon and melts in your mouth. People are astonished when I tell them it is a low fat and low calorie dish. I have also modified it and added blue cheese crumbles within the meatloaf and a little in the sauce topping. YUM!! About 1/2 cup or so. I have also made meatballs with this recipe and doubled the sauce to put in a small crock pot. I cook the meatballs first, then place in a crockpot with the sauce to serve at a buffet or as an appetizer. EVERYONE asks me for the recipe, and no one can believe meatloaf could taste this good!!!!"
Light-Bodied Red Wine
Enjoy this recipe with a light-bodied red wine such as Pinot Noir.