Everyone loves this tender meat loaf, which is seasoned with a hint sage. It's good for family get-togethers, picnics and Super Bowls parties. You're sure to get rave reviews whenever you serve it. —Edie DeSpain of Logan, Utah
- 1 egg
- 1 cup fat-free milk
- 3/4 cup quick-cooking oats
- 2 slices bread, crumbled
- 1/2 cup finely chopped onion
- 1 teaspoon rubbed sage
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 1 pound lean ground beef (90% lean)
- 3/4 cup ketchup
- 1/2 cup water
- 2 tablespoons brown sugar
- 2 tablespoons cider vinegar
- 1 tablespoon Worcestershire sauce
- In a large bowl, combine the first eight ingredients. Crumble beef over mixture and mix well. Shape into a loaf; place in an ungreased 11-in. x 7-in. baking dish.
- In a small bowl, combine the ketchup, water, brown sugar, vinegar and Worcestershire sauce; pour over meat loaf. Bake at 325° for 1 to 1-1/4 hours or until meat is no longer pink and a meat thermometer reads 160°. Let stand for 10 minutes before slicing. Yield: 6 servings.
Originally published as Savory Meat Loaf in Light & Tasty December/January 2003, p27
Light-Bodied Red Wine
Enjoy this recipe with a light-bodied red wine such as Pinot Noir.
Reviews for Savory Meat Loaf
Please Log In or Join to add a rating and review.
Click stars to rate
Any changes to your rating or review will appear where you originally posted your review