Savory Mandarin Orange Chicken Recipe
- 2 chicken leg quarters
- 1/2 cup French salad dressing
- 2 tablespoons reduced-sodium soy sauce
- 1/2 teaspoon chicken bouillon granules
- 1/8 teaspoon each garlic powder, ground ginger and chili powder
- 1 tablespoon dried minced onion
- 1 can (11 ounces) mandarin oranges
- 1 tablespoon cornstarch
- 2 tablespoons water
- 1-1/2 cups hot cooked long grain rice
- 1. Place chicken in an 11-in. x 7-in. baking pan lined with heavy-duty foil. In a small bowl, whisk the salad dressing, soy sauce, bouillon, garlic powder, ginger and chili powder. Brush over chicken. Sprinkle with onion.
- 2. Drain oranges, reserving juice; set oranges aside. Pour 1/4 cup of the reserved juice around chicken. Cover and bake at 350° for 25 minutes. Uncover; bake 20-25 minutes longer or until a thermometer reads 170°-175°. In a small saucepan, combine the cornstarch and water until smooth. Stir in pan drippings and remaining reserved juice. Bring to a boil; cook and stir for 1-2 minutes or until thickened. Stir in oranges; cook 1 minute longer or until heated through. Serve over chicken and rice. Yield: 2 servings.
1 pound: 625 calories, 17g fat (5g saturated fat), 105mg cholesterol, 1377mg sodium, 78g carbohydrate (28g sugars, 3g fiber), 36g protein.
Reviews for Savory Mandarin Orange Chicken
"I followed this recipe exactly with ho-hum results. I baked it an additional 1/2 hour, covered, before it was done and the legs were still not as tender as we like. Plus, there was only a hint of orange flavor in the gravy. Perhaps adding a splash of real orange juice would help?"