Savory Mandarin Chicken
"I serve this tender chicken in a sweet sauce over rice," notes Maureen Readey of Farmingdale, New York. "With fresh broccoli or asparagus, it makes a special meal for company."
4 ServingsPrep/Total Time: 30 min.
- 4 boneless skinless chicken breast halves (4 ounces each)
- 2 tablespoons brown sugar
- 2 tablespoons cornstarch
- 1/2 cup teriyaki sauce
- 1/4 cup apple juice
- 1 tablespoon vegetable oil
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- 1 can (11 ounces) mandarin oranges
- Hot cooked rice
- 2 green onions, sliced
- Flatten chicken to 1/4-in. thickness. Place in a greased 2-qt.
- microwave-safe dish. In a bowl, combine brown sugar and cornstarch;
- stir in teriyaki sauce, apple juice, oil and garlic. Drain oranges,
- reserving juice; set oranges aside. Add juice to the teriyaki
- mixture; pour over chicken. Cover and microwave on high for 6
- minutes. Baste chicken with sauce. Cover and cook 2-4 minutes longer
- or until sauce is thickened. Serve over rice. Garnish with onions
- and oranges. Yield: 4 servings.
Nutritional Facts: One serving (calculated without rice) equals 245 calories, 5 g fat (0 saturated fat), 68 mg cholesterol, 425 mg sodium, 20 g carbohydrate, 0.5 g fiber, 28 g protein. Diabetic Exchanges: 3-1/2 lean meat, 1 fruit,