Savory Lentil Vegetable Soup Recipe
- 1 medium yellow summer squash, cut into 1/2-inch cubes
- 3 teaspoons vegetable oil, divided
- 2 medium carrots, sliced
- 1 large potato, peeled and cut into 1/2-inch cubes
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 teaspoon curry powder
- 1/4 teaspoon ground ginger
- 6 cups reduced-sodium chicken broth
- 1-1/4 cups dried lentils, rinsed
- 3 tablespoons no-salt-added tomato paste
- 1 tablespoon cider or red wine vinegar
- 1/2 teaspoon pepper
- 4 cups coarsely chopped fresh spinach
- 1. In a large saucepan, saute squash in 1 teaspoon oil until crisp-tender. Remove and set aside. Add carrots, potato, onion, garlic and remaining oil to the pan. Cook and stir over low heat for 8-10 minutes. Stir in curry powder and ginger; cook for 1 minute. Add the broth, lentils, tomato paste, vinegar and pepper; bring to a boil. Reduce heat; cover and simmer for 30 minutes or until lentils and potatoes are tender. Add spinach and squash; heat through. Yield: 6 servings.
One serving (1 cup) equals 236 calories, 145 mg sodium, 4 mg cholesterol, 37 gm carbohydrate, 15 gm protein, 5 gm fat. Diabetic Exchanges: 2 starch, 1 meat, 1 vegetable.
Reviews for Savory Lentil Vegetable Soup
"Hearty and delicious paired with biscuits or a crusty bread for a simple Fall meal. Easy to prepare; my husband had no problem putting it together before I came home for work."