Savory Lentil Barley Soup Recipe
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 3/4 cup thinly sliced celery
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- 1 tablespoon butter
- 2 quarts water
- 1 can (28 ounces) diced tomatoes, undrained
- 1 package (1.7 ounces) vegetable soup mix
- 3/4 cup dried lentils, rinsed
- 3/4 cup medium pearl barley
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 2 medium carrots, thinly sliced
- 1/2 cup shredded reduced-fat Swiss cheese, optional
- 1. In a soup kettle or Dutch oven, saute onion, celery and garlic in butter until tender. Add water, tomatoes, soup mix, lentils, barley and pepper; bring to a boil. Reduce heat; cover and simmer for 45 minutes or until lentils and barley are tender. Add carrots; simmer 20-25 minutes longer or until the carrots are tender. Garnish with cheese if desired. Yield: 12 servings (3 quarts).
Nutritional Analysis: One 1-cup serving (prepared without cheese) equals 125 calories, 405 mg sodium, trace cholesterol, 23 gm carbohydrate, 5 gm protein, 1 gm fat. Diabetic Exchanges: 1-1/2 starch, 1 vegetable.