Savory Lentil Barley Soup Recipe
"I get frequent requests from my family for this thick, full-flavored soup in the winter," reports Myrtle Brandt of Morris, Manitoba, "especially on -35° days, which are not uncommon here!"
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 3/4 cup thinly sliced celery
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- 1 tablespoon butter
- 2 quarts water
- 1 can (28 ounces) diced tomatoes, undrained
- 1 package (1.7 ounces) vegetable soup mix
- 3/4 cup dried lentils, rinsed
- 3/4 cup medium pearl barley
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 2 medium carrots, thinly sliced
- 1/2 cup shredded reduced-fat Swiss cheese, optional
- In a soup kettle or Dutch oven, saute onion, celery and garlic in butter until tender. Add water, tomatoes, soup mix, lentils, barley and pepper; bring to a boil. Reduce heat; cover and simmer for 45 minutes or until lentils and barley are tender. Add carrots; simmer 20-25 minutes longer or until the carrots are tender. Garnish with cheese if desired. Yield: 12 servings (3 quarts).
Originally published as Lentil Barley Soup in Taste of Home February/March 1999, p17
Reviews for Savory Lentil Barley Soup(2)
Please Log In or Join to add a rating and review.
Click stars to rate
Any changes to your rating or review will appear where you originally posted your review
Sort By :
Reviewed Apr. 11, 2012
I make this recipe during Great Lent. It's delicious! I've had many requests for the recipe and I'm always happy to share.
Reviewed Jun. 4, 2009
can this recipe be made into a crockpot recipe?
how much rinsing of the dried beans do i have to do?