"I get frequent requests from my family for this thick, full-flavored soup in the winter," reports Myrtle Brandt of Morris, Manitoba, "especially on -35° days, which are not uncommon here!"
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 3/4 cup thinly sliced celery
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- 1 tablespoon butter
- 2 quarts water
- 1 can (28 ounces) diced tomatoes, undrained
- 1 package (1.7 ounces) vegetable soup mix
- 3/4 cup dried lentils, rinsed
- 3/4 cup medium pearl barley
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 2 medium carrots, thinly sliced
- 1/2 cup shredded reduced-fat Swiss cheese, optional
- In a soup kettle or Dutch oven, saute onion, celery and garlic in butter until tender. Add water, tomatoes, soup mix, lentils, barley and pepper; bring to a boil. Reduce heat; cover and simmer for 45 minutes or until lentils and barley are tender. Add carrots; simmer 20-25 minutes longer or until the carrots are tender. Garnish with cheese if desired. Yield: 12 servings (3 quarts).
Originally published as Lentil Barley Soup in Taste of Home February/March 1999, p17
Reviews for Savory Lentil Barley Soup
Please Log In or Join to add a rating and review.
Click stars to rate
Any changes to your rating or review will appear where you originally posted your review