My niece shared this recipe with me, and whenever I’ve served it, I get requests for the recipe. The sausage, tortellini, tomatoes, zucchini and herbs make it different from typical stews featuring meat and potatoes. It’s a hearty one-dish meal that’s simple to prepare.
- 1 pound bulk Italian sausage
- 1 small onion, chopped
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- 3 cups beef broth
- 1 can (14-1/2 ounces) stewed tomatoes, cut up
- 1 can (8 ounces) tomato sauce
- 1 medium carrot, thinly sliced
- 1 teaspoon dried basil
- 1 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1 package (9 ounces) refrigerated cheese tortellini
- 1 small zucchini, sliced
- 1/3 cup chopped green pepper
- 2 tablespoons minced fresh parsley
- Grated Parmesan cheese
- In a large saucepan, cook sausage and onion over medium heat until meat is no longer pink and onion is tender. Drain. Add garlic; cook 1 minute longer.
- Stir in the broth, tomatoes, tomato sauce, carrot, basil and oregano. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat; simmer, uncovered, for 30 minutes.
- Gently stir in the tortellini, zucchini, green pepper and parsley. Cover and simmer for 20-25 minutes or until tortellini is tender. Serve with cheese. Yield: 6-8 servings (2 quarts).
Originally published as Italian Stew in Country December/January 2007, p51
Medium-Bodied Red Wine
Enjoy this recipe with a medium-bodied red wine such as Chianti, Sangiovese, Malbec or Zinfandel.
Reviews for Savory Italian Stew
Please Log In or Join to add a rating and review.
Click stars to rate
Any changes to your rating or review will appear where you originally posted your review