Savory Italian Stew Recipe
- 1 pound Johnsonville® Mild Ground Italian Sausage
- 1 small onion, chopped
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- 3 cups beef broth
- 1 can (14-1/2 ounces) stewed tomatoes, cut up
- 1 can (8 ounces) tomato sauce
- 1 medium carrot, thinly sliced
- 1 teaspoon dried basil
- 1 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1 package (9 ounces) refrigerated cheese tortellini
- 1 small zucchini, sliced
- 1/3 cup chopped green pepper
- 2 tablespoons minced fresh parsley
- Grated Parmesan cheese
- In a large saucepan, cook sausage and onion over medium heat until meat is no longer pink and onion is tender. Drain. Add garlic; cook 1 minute longer.
- Stir in the broth, tomatoes, tomato sauce, carrot, basil and oregano. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat; simmer, uncovered, for 30 minutes.
- Gently stir in the tortellini, zucchini, green pepper and parsley. Cover and simmer for 20-25 minutes or until tortellini is tender. Serve with cheese. Yield: 6-8 servings (2 quarts).
Enjoy this recipe with a medium-bodied red wine such as Chianti, Sangiovese, Malbec or Zinfandel.
Reviews for Savory Italian Stew(6)
Sort By :
Fast, simple, satisfying comfort food!
Absolutely LOVE this recipe! I add extra veggies...so YUMMY!
We used bulk Italian sausage, diced tomatoes instead of stewed & whole wheat tortellini. Yum!
Very yummy!!! I increased the veggies in it and paired it with garlic bread. I will make again and again.
I made some changes to the recipe.
1 med. onion
3-4 garlic cloves minced
1 small summer squash sliced
3 tablespoons grated parmesan cheese.
2 cans chicken stock
Add parmesan cheese when you add tomates, stock and herbs. Cook 30 minutes
Add squash and zucchini - cook 10 minutes
Add Tortellini, and cook 20-25 minutes.
I get rave reviews each time I make it.