Savory Italian Sausage Strata Recipe
- 1 pound bulk Italian sausage
- 1 loaf sourdough bread (1 pound), cubed
- 1 jar (4-1/2 ounces) sliced mushrooms, drained
- 1/4 cup thinly sliced green onions
- 10 eggs, lightly beaten
- 3 cups half-and-half cream
- 1 teaspoon ground mustard
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1 cup (4 ounces) shredded Italian cheese blend
- 1. In a large skillet, cook sausage over medium heat until no longer pink; drain. Place bread cubes in a greased 13-in. x 9-in. baking dish. Layer with mushrooms, onions and sausage.
- 2. In a large bowl, whisk the eggs, cream, mustard and salt. Pour over top; sprinkle with cheese. Cover and refrigerate overnight.
- 3. Remove from the refrigerator 30 minutes before baking. Bake, uncovered, at 350° for 60-65 minutes or until a knife inserted near the center comes out clean. (Cover loosely with foil if top browns too quickly.) Let stand for 10 minutes before serving.
- 4. Serve immediately or before refrigerating and baking, cover and freeze casserole for up to 3 months.
- 5. To use frozen casserole: Thaw in the refrigerator overnight. Remove from the refrigerator 30 minutes before baking. Bake according to directions. Yield: 12 servings.
1 piece equals 414 calories, 25 g fat (11 g saturated fat), 242 mg cholesterol, 824 mg sodium, 25 g carbohydrate, 1 g fiber, 19 g protein.
Reviews for Savory Italian Sausage Strata
"Looks delicious , can't wait to try it!"
"Made this delicious dish for Easter Breakfast and it was well received. I do suggest covering the dish after 1/2 hr. so the cheese doesn't brown too much although my company enjoyed the crisp melted cheese on top as well. I made this and froze it and then took it out of the freezer on Saturday. Didn't change a thing and would make it again and again!"
"Would be good with diced ham replacing sausage."
"I make a very similar casserole but use peeled and deveined uncooked shrimp. Mine does not use mustard but I am sure it would be very good with it added. Delicious"
"I wanted to try this recipe; but, it took 5 pages of printing to get one complete copy of this. Something is wrong with your "print copy".....no more till this is fixed."
"Good! I used turkey sausage and added italian seasoning to it."