Savory Italian Sausage and Peppers Recipe
- 3 pounds Italian sausage links, cut into 3/4-inch slices
- 4 medium green peppers, cut into thin strips
- 1 medium onion, thinly sliced and quartered
- 1 tablespoon butter
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 3 tablespoons chicken broth
- 6 plum tomatoes, coarsely chopped
- 1 tablespoon minced fresh parsley
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 1/2 teaspoon lemon juice
- 1. In a Dutch oven, cook the sausage over medium heat until no longer pink; drain. Add the remaining ingredients.
- 2. Cover and cook for 30 minutes or until vegetables are tender, stirring, occasionally. Serve with a slotted spoon. Yield: 12 servings.
One serving (prepared with turkey Italian sausage) equals 230 calories, 13 g fat (4 g saturated fat), 63 mg cholesterol, 829 mg sodium, 8 g carbohydrate, 1 g fiber, 20 g protein. Diabetic Exchanges: 2 lean meat, 2 fat, 1 vegetable.
Medium-Bodied Red Wine
Enjoy this recipe with a medium-bodied red wine such as Chianti, Sangiovese, Malbec or Zinfandel.