Before leaving for work, Carol Allen of McLeansboro, Illinois often puts these ingredients in the slow cooker. "Supper is ready when I get home," she notes. "This recipe is also good to take to a potluck or family get-together."
- 1 boneless beef chuck roast (3 to 4 pounds)
- 3 tablespoons dried basil
- 3 tablespoons dried oregano
- 1 cup water
- 1 envelope onion soup mix
- 10 to 12 Italian rolls or sandwich buns
- Cut roast in half; place in a 5-qt. slow cooker. Combine the basil, oregano and water; pour over roast. Sprinkle with soup mix.
- Cover and cook on low for 8-10 hours or until meat is tender. Remove meat; shred with two forks and keep warm. Strain broth and skim fat. Serve meat on rolls; use broth for dipping if desired. Yield: 10-12 servings.
Originally published as Italian Beef Sandwiches in Taste of Home October/November 1996, p45
Reviews for Savory Italian Beef Sandwiches
Please Log In or Join to add a rating and review.
Click stars to rate
Any changes to your rating or review will appear where you originally posted your review