Savory Herb Rice
"I got this recipe from the mother of one of my college roommates many years ago and filed it away," writes Suzy Mercker of Lawrenceville, Georgia. "I found it one night by accident and made it for dinner. Now it's a staple that I often serve with chicken, beef, pork...or even fish."
5 ServingsPrep: 10 min. Cook: 15 min.
- 2 cups water
- 1 tablespoon butter
- 1 teaspoon chicken or 1/2 vegetable bouillon cube
- 1 cup uncooked long grain rice
- 2 tablespoons reduced-sodium soy sauce
- 1 teaspoon dried minced onion
- 1/2 teaspoon onion powder
- 1/4 teaspoon dried basil
- 1/4 teaspoon dried marjoram
- 1/4 teaspoon dried thyme
- In a large saucepan, combine the water, butter and bouillon. Bring to
- a boil. Add remaining ingredients. Reduce heat; cover and simmer for
- about 15 minutes or until liquid is absorbed and rice is tender.
- Yield: 5 servings.
Nutritional Facts: One serving (2/3 cup) equals 178 calories, 3 g fat (2 g saturated fat), 6 mg cholesterol, 490 mg sodium, 33 g carbohydrate, 1 g fiber, 4 g protein. Diabetic Exchanges: 2 starch, 1/2 fat.