My family likes this recipe so much that we tried grilling in a sheltered spot during the winter. It worked! Now we can enjoy this juicy, grilled bird all year long. —Karen Buenting, Livermore, Iowa
- 1 turkey (12 pounds)
- 1 cup butter, cubed
- 1/2 cup cider vinegar
- 1/2 cup lemon juice
- 1 tablespoon Worcestershire sauce
- 1 tablespoon A.1. steak sauce
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon pepper
- 1 teaspoon Louisiana-style hot sauce
- Remove giblets from turkey (discard or save for another use). Using long-handled tongs, moisten a paper towel with cooking oil and lightly coat the grill rack. Prepare grill for indirect heat, using a drip pan. Skewer turkey openings; tie drumsticks together.
- Place turkey over drip pan; grill, covered, over indirect medium heat for 1 hour.
- Meanwhile, in a small saucepan, combine the remaining ingredients. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat; simmer for 10 minutes, stirring occasionally. Remove from the heat. Set aside 2/3 cup for serving.
- Grill turkey 1-2 hours longer or until a thermometer reads 180°, basting frequently with remaining sauce. Cover and let stand for 15 minutes before carving. Serve with reserved sauce. Yield: 12 servings.
Originally published as Savory Grilled Turkey in Country Extra November 2008, p49
Medium-Bodied White Wine
Enjoy this recipe with a medium-bodied white wine such as Riesling or Gewürtztraminer
Reviews for Savory Grilled Turkey
Please Log In or Join to add a rating and review.
Click stars to rate
Any changes to your rating or review will appear where you originally posted your review