Savory Green Beans Recipe
This was my mother's favorite way to fix green beans. She always grew savory in her garden, giving this dish lots of fresh flavor. Not only is it low in fat, but it goes well with just about any main course.—Carol Ann Hayden of Everson, Washington
- 3/4 cup chopped sweet red pepper
- 1 tablespoon canola oil
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- 1-1/2 pounds fresh green beans, trimmed and cut into 2-inch pieces
- 1/2 cup water
- 2 tablespoons minced fresh savory or 2 teaspoons dried savory
- 1 tablespoon minced chives
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1. In a large skillet, saute red pepper in oil for 2-3 minutes or until tender. Add garlic; cook 1 minute longer. Stir in the green beans, water, savory, chives and salt. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat; cover and simmer for 8-10 minutes or until beans are crisp-tender. Yield: 6 servings.
3/4 cup equals 59 calories, 3 g fat (trace saturated fat), 0 cholesterol, 203 mg sodium, 9 g carbohydrate, 4 g fiber, 2 g protein. Diabetic Exchanges: 2 vegetable, 1/2 fat.
© 2015 RDA Enthusiast Brands, LLC