If you want a slimmed down version on the classic. This recipe calls for calls for frozen green beans instead of canned, a from-scratch sauce in place of a can of soup and a homemade onion topping. The result is a creamy casserole with wonderful flavor!—Taste of Home Test Kitchen, Greendale, Wisconsin
- 1 package (16 ounces) frozen cut green beans
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- 1 teaspoon butter
- 1/2 pound fresh mushrooms, chopped
- 1 can (12 ounces) fat-free evaporated milk
- 1/4 cup all-purpose flour
- 1/2 cup fat-free milk
- 1 teaspoon reduced-sodium soy sauce
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon poultry seasoning
- 1/8 to 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 2 cups sliced onions
- 1 teaspoon butter
- 1/2 cup soft bread crumbs
- Place beans in a microwave-safe dish. Cover and cook on high for 7-9 minutes or until tender; drain.
- In a large nonstick skillet, cook onion and garlic in butter over medium heat until tender, about 4 minutes. Add mushrooms; cook until softened. Reduce heat to medium-low; gradually stir in evaporated milk. Combine flour and milk until smooth; gradually stir into mushroom mixture. Add the soy sauce, salt, poultry seasoning and pepper. Bring to a boil; cook and stir for 2 minutes or until thickened. Stir in beans. Transfer to a 2-qt. baking dish coated with cooking spray. Bake, uncovered, at 375° for 15 minutes.
- Meanwhile, for topping, in a small nonstick skillet, cook onions in butter over medium-low heat until golden brown. Add bread crumbs; cook until dry and golden brown. Sprinkle over casserole. Bake 7-10 minutes longer or until heated through and topping is browned. Let stand for 10 minutes before serving. Yield: 12 servings.
Originally published as Makeover Green Bean Casserole in Light & Tasty December/January 2002, p15
Reviews for Savory Green Bean Casserole
Please Log In or Join to add a rating and review.
Click stars to rate
Any changes to your rating or review will appear where you originally posted your review