- 1 package (16 ounces) frozen cut green beans
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- 1 teaspoon butter
- 1/2 pound fresh mushrooms, chopped
- 1 can (12 ounces) fat-free evaporated milk
- 1/4 cup all-purpose flour
- 1/2 cup fat-free milk
- 1 teaspoon reduced-sodium soy sauce
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon poultry seasoning
- 1/8 to 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 2 cups sliced onions
- 1 teaspoon butter
- 1/2 cup soft bread crumbs
- Place beans in a microwave-safe dish. Cover and cook on high for 7-9 minutes or until tender; drain.
- In a large nonstick skillet, cook onion and garlic in butter over medium heat until tender, about 4 minutes. Add mushrooms; cook until softened. Reduce heat to medium-low; gradually stir in evaporated milk. Combine flour and milk until smooth; gradually stir into mushroom mixture. Add the soy sauce, salt, poultry seasoning and pepper. Bring to a boil; cook and stir for 2 minutes or until thickened. Stir in beans. Transfer to a 2-qt. baking dish coated with cooking spray. Bake, uncovered, at 375° for 15 minutes.
- Meanwhile, for topping, in a small nonstick skillet, cook onions in butter over medium-low heat until golden brown. Add bread crumbs; cook until dry and golden brown. Sprinkle over casserole. Bake 7-10 minutes longer or until heated through and topping is browned. Let stand for 10 minutes before serving. Yield: 12 servings.
Reviews for Savory Green Bean Casserole
Sort By :
"I will be using this recipe on Turkey Day but our company doesn't like mushrooms.Can anything be subbed for the mushrooms or should I leave them out? Also, can all or part of this recipe be made ahead of time?"
"This is so much better than using that awful canned mushroom soup! Use French Cut frozen green beans. Also use the canned 'crispy fried onions.' My Great Aunt Judy made this recipe and I'm passing it on. Everyone always raves on this classic Green Bean Casserole for holidays."
"I gave this five stars but it wouldn't click on anything but one!!!"
"Taste really good. I use fresh green beans...just pre cooked a little."