Savory Glazed Pearl Onions Recipe
I made these onions on a whim one Christmas when we craved a vegetable dish other than Brussels sprouts. I'm so glad I did. —Erika Szymanski, Pullman, Washington
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 4 cups frozen pearl onions (about 1-1/2 pounds), thawed
- 1-1/2 cups dry red wine
- 1/3 cup balsamic vinegar
- 1 tablespoon packed brown sugar
- 1-1/2 teaspoons dried thyme
- 3/4 teaspoon salt
- 3/4 teaspoon white pepper
- 1. In a large skillet, heat oil over medium heat. Add onions; cook and stir for 9-11 minutes or until lightly browned. Stir in the remaining ingredients; bring to a boil. Reduce heat; simmer, covered, for 20-25 minutes or until onions are tender.
- 2. Uncover; simmer for 8-10 minutes or until onions are glazed, stirring occasionally. Serve warm or at room temperature. Yield: 12 servings.
Full-Bodied Red Wine
Enjoy this recipe with a full-bodied red wine such as Cabernet Sauvignon, Merlot or Syrah.
© 2015 RDA Enthusiast Brands, LLC