Savory French Toast Bake Recipe
Spend just 15 minutes prepping this casserole the night before, and you’ll have extra time to make a fruit salad and pour the coffee as it bakes. It’s a keeper! —Patricia Nieh, Portola Valley, California
- 1 loaf (8 ounces) day-old French bread, cut into 1/2-inch slices
- 6 eggs, beaten
- 2 cups 2% milk
- 4 teaspoons Dijon mustard
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon pepper
- 1/2 cup minced chives, divided
- 1-1/2 cups (6 ounces) shredded Gruyere or Swiss cheese, divided
- 1. Arrange half of the bread slices in a greased 13-in. x 9-in. baking dish. In a large bowl, combine the eggs, milk, mustard, salt, pepper and 1/4 cup chives.
- 2. Pour half of the egg mixture over bread; sprinkle with 1 cup cheese. Layer with remaining bread and egg mixture. Sprinkle with remaining cheese. Cover and refrigerate overnight.
- 3. Remove from the refrigerator 30 minutes before baking. Bake, uncovered, at 350° for 50-55 minutes or until a knife inserted near the center comes out clean. Let stand for 10 minutes before cutting. Sprinkle with remaining chives. Yield: 10 servings.
1 piece equals 241 calories, 13 g fat (6 g saturated fat), 159 mg cholesterol, 466 mg sodium, 16 g carbohydrate, 1 g fiber, 16 g protein.
Enjoy this recipe with a sparkling wine.
© 2015 RDA Enthusiast Brands, LLC