- 1 loaf (8 ounces) day-old French bread, cut into 1/2-inch slices
- 6 large eggs, beaten
- 2 cups 2% milk
- 4 teaspoons Dijon mustard
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon pepper
- 1/2 cup minced chives, divided
- 1-1/2 cups shredded Gruyere or Swiss cheese, divided
- Arrange half of the bread slices in a greased 13x9-in. baking dish. In a large bowl, combine the eggs, milk, mustard, salt, pepper and 1/4 cup chives.
- Pour half of the egg mixture over bread; sprinkle with 1 cup cheese. Layer with remaining bread and egg mixture. Sprinkle with remaining cheese. Cover and refrigerate overnight.
- Remove from the refrigerator 30 minutes before baking. Bake, uncovered, at 350° for 50-55 minutes or until a knife inserted near the center comes out clean. Let stand for 10 minutes before cutting. Sprinkle with remaining chives. Yield: 10 servings.
Reviews for Savory French Toast Bake
"I manage a Bed & breakfast Inn and decided to make this for our guests one morning. It was a big hit! Easy to make and oh so tasty! (Got to enjoy what little leftovers there were.) Definitely going to be making this again. Might even try using sourdough instead of regular french bread for an extra little kick! So highly recommend this recipe!"