Instead of offering store-bought rolls at a holiday dinner, our home economists suggest serving this tasty herbed focaccia bread.
12-16 ServingsPrep: 20 min. + rising Bake: 25 min.
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 1/3 cup olive oil, divided
- 1-1/2 teaspoons minced fresh rosemary or 1/2 teaspoon dried rosemary, crushed
- 1 teaspoon dried basil
- 1 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1-1/2 teaspoons active dry yeast
- 1-1/2 cups warm water (110° to 115°), divided
- 1/2 teaspoon sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon garlic powder
- 3-1/2 to 4 cups all-purpose flour
- Coarse salt
- In a small skillet, saute onion in 2 tablespoons oil until tender;
- cool. Combine the rosemary, basil and oregano; set aside.
- In a large bowl, dissolve yeast in 1/4 cup warm water. Add sugar; let
- stand for 5 minutes. Add 2 tablespoons oil, salt, garlic powder, 2
- cups flour and remaining water. Beat until smooth. Stir in enough
- remaining flour to form a soft dough.
- Turn onto a floured surface; knead until smooth and elastic, about
- 6-8 minutes. Add onion and half of the herb mixture; knead 1 minute