Savory Focaccia Recipe
Instead of offering store-bought rolls at a holiday dinner, our home economists suggest serving this tasty herbed focaccia bread.
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 1/3 cup olive oil, divided
- 1-1/2 teaspoons minced fresh rosemary or 1/2 teaspoon dried rosemary, crushed
- 1 teaspoon dried basil
- 1 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1-1/2 teaspoons active dry yeast
- 1-1/2 cups warm water (110° to 115°), divided
- 1/2 teaspoon sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon garlic powder
- 3-1/2 to 4 cups all-purpose flour
- Coarse salt
- 1. In a small skillet, saute onion in 2 tablespoons oil until tender; cool. Combine the rosemary, basil and oregano; set aside.
- 2. In a large bowl, dissolve yeast in 1/4 cup warm water. Add sugar; let stand for 5 minutes. Add 2 tablespoons oil, salt, garlic powder, 2 cups flour and remaining water. Beat until smooth. Stir in enough remaining flour to form a soft dough.
- 3. Turn onto a floured surface; knead until smooth and elastic, about 6-8 minutes. Add onion and half of the herb mixture; knead 1 minute longer. Place in a greased bowl, turning once to grease top. Cover and let rise in a warm place until doubled, about 40 minutes.
- 4. Punch dough down. Turn onto a lightly floured surface; divide in half. Roll each portion into a 10-in. circle; let rest for 5 minutes. Grease two baking sheets and sprinkle with cornmeal. Transfer dough to prepared pans; reshape if necessary. Cover and let rise until doubled, about 40 minutes.
- 5. Brush with remaining oil. Sprinkle with coarse salt and remaining herb mixture. Bake at 375° for 25-30 minutes or until golden brown. Remove from pans to wire racks. Cut into wedges; serve warm. Yield: 2 loaves.
1 piece: 0 calories, 0g fat (0g saturated fat), 0mg cholesterol, 0mg sodium, 0g carbohydrate (0g sugars, 0g fiber), 0g protein
Reviews for Savory Focaccia
© 2016 RDA Enthusiast Brands, LLC