This unusual dressing has a surprising blend blend of bread and mashed potatoes so that it appeals to all people. Savory adds just the right amount of flavor without being overpowering.Marlene Jatsura, Prince George, British Columbia
8-10 ServingsPrep: 15 min. Bake: 1 hour
- 2 medium onions, finely chopped
- 1/2 cup butter, cubed
- 2 tablespoons water
- 1 loaf (1 pound) day-old bread, crusts removed
- 1-1/2 cups mashed potatoes (without added milk and butter)
- 1/4 cup chicken broth
- 2 tablespoons minced fresh savory or 2 teaspoons dried savory
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon pepper
- In a skillet, saute onions in butter and water until tender, stirring
- occasionally. Break bread into small pieces; place in a large bowl.
- Add potatoes, broth, savory, salt, pepper and onion mixture; mix
- well. Place in greased 2-qt. baking dish. Cover and bake at 325°
- for 1 hour or until lightly browned. Yield: 8-10 servings.
Nutritional Facts: 1 serving (3/4 cup) equals 237 calories, 11 g fat (6 g saturated fat), 25 mg cholesterol, 604 mg sodium, 30 g carbohydrate, 3 g fiber, 5 g protein.