Savory Cranberry Beef Stew Recipe
- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- 2 teaspoons salt, optional
- 2 pounds beef stew meat, cut into 1-inch cubes
- 4 bacon strips, cut into 1-inch pieces, optional
- 10 small onions
- 2 cups cranberry juice, divided
- 1 can (14-1/2 ounces) beef broth
- 4 whole cloves
- 1 bay leaf
- 1/2 teaspoon pepper
- 1/2 teaspoon dried marjoram
- 1/4 teaspoon dried thyme
- 1/4 teaspoon garlic powder
- 5 medium carrots, cut into chunks
- 5 medium potatoes, peeled and cubed
- 2 cups frozen peas, thawed
- 1. In a small bowl, combine flour and salt if desired. Place half of the four mixture in large resealable plastic bag. Add beef, a few pieces at a time, and shake to coat. Reserve remaining flour mixture; set aside.
- 2. Place beef in a Dutch oven. Add bacon if desired. Bake, uncovered, at 400° for 30 minutes.
- 3. Add onions, 1-1/2 cups cranberry juice, broth and seasonings. Cover and bake at 350° for 1 hour.
- 4. Add carrots and potatoes; bake 1 hour longer or until meat and vegetables are tender.
- 5. Combine reserved flour mixture and remaining cranberry juice until smooth; stir into stew. Cover and bake 30 minutes longer. Remove bay leaf. Add peas; return to the oven for 5 minutes or until heated through. Yield: 10 servings.
One 1-cup serving (prepared with reduced-sodium beef broth and without salt or bacon) equals 321 calories, 7 g fat (0 saturated fat), 56 mg cholesterol, 231 mg sodium, 42 g carbohydrate, 0 fiber, 23 g protein. Diabetic Exchanges: 2 starch, 2 vegetable, 1-1/2 meat.