Savory Corn Bread Dressing
Nothing gets the family hanging around like the aroma of this savory dressing baking alongside the turkey. Drizzled with hot gravy, it tastes even better than it smells.
12 ServingsPrep: 25 min. Bake: 40 min.
- 2-1/2 cups chopped celery
- 1-1/4 cups chopped onions
- 10 tablespoons butter
- 7-1/2 cups coarsely crumbled corn bread
- 2-1/2 cups soft bread crumbs
- 4 teaspoons rubbed sage
- 4 teaspoons poultry seasoning
- 2 eggs, lightly beaten
- 1-1/3 cups chicken broth
- In a large skillet, saute celery and onions in butter until tender;
- transfer to a large bowl. Add the corn bread, bread crumbs, sage and
- poultry seasoning. Combine eggs and broth; add to corn bread
- mixture, stirring gently to mix.
- Transfer to a greased 2-qt. baking dish. Cover and bake at 325°
- for 30 minutes. Uncover; bake 10 minutes longer or until a
- thermometer reads 165° and stuffing is lightly browned.
- Yield: 12 servings (9 cups).
Editor's Note:To use this as a stuffing for poultry, substitute 1/2 cup egg substitute for the eggs. This is suitable to stuff a 12- to 14-pound turkey.
Nutritional Facts: 3/4 cup equals 277 calories,