Savory Cocktail Scones Recipe
“Scones are comfort food to me, and I wanted to make a savory version with roasted garlic butter. The addition of bacon seemed natural. Their cocktail size makes them fun; they also work for a brunch buffet."—Donna Marie Ryan, Topsfield, Massachusetts
TOTAL TIME: Prep: 55 min. Bake: 15 min. YIELD:16 servings
- 1 whole garlic bulb
- 2 teaspoons olive oil
- 1/2 cup butter, softened
- 2 bacon strips, chopped
- 1/3 cup chopped onion
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 3 teaspoons baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 cup cold butter
- 1 egg
- 1/2 cup sherry
- 1/3 cup heavy whipping cream
- 1/4 cup 2% milk
- 1. Remove papery outer skin from garlic (do not peel or separate cloves). Cut top off of garlic bulb. Brush with oil. Wrap bulb in heavy-duty foil. Bake at 400° for 40-45 minutes or until softened. Cool for 10-15 minutes. Squeeze softened garlic into a small bowl; mash with fork. Stir in butter; set aside.
- 2. In a small skillet, cook bacon over medium heat until crisp. Remove to paper towels with a slotted spoon; drain, reserving 1 tablespoon drippings. In the same skillet, cook and stir onion in the drippings until softened. Reduce heat to medium-low; cook, stirring occasionally, for 30 minutes or until deep golden brown. Set aside.
- 3. In a large bowl, combine the flour, baking powder, baking soda and salt. Cut in butter until mixture resembles coarse crumbs. Whisk the egg, sherry and cream; stir into crumb mixture just until moistened. Fold in onion and bacon.
- 4. Turn onto a floured surface; knead 10 times. Pat into a 10x5-in. rectangle. Using a floured knife, cut into eight 2-1/2-in. squares; cut each square diagonally in half.
- 5. Place on a parchment paper-lined baking sheet; brush with milk. Bake at 400° for 12-15 minutes or until golden brown. Serve warm with butter. Yield: 16 servings.
1 scone with 1-1/2 teaspoons butter equals 204 calories, 15 g fat (9 g saturated fat), 52 mg cholesterol, 297 mg sodium, 13 g carbohydrate, 1 g fiber, 3 g protein.
© 2014 RDA Enthusiast Brands, LLC