Savory Christmas Cutouts Recipe
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 cup (4 ounces) shredded Swiss cheese
- 1 teaspoon sugar
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon ground mustard
- 1/8 to 1/4 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- 1/2 cup plus 2 tablespoons cold butter
- 9 tablespoons dry white wine or chicken broth
- 1 egg, lightly beaten
- Sesame seeds and/or poppy seeds
- 1. In a bowl, combine the first six ingredients; cut in butter until the mixture resembles coarse crumbs. Gradually add wine or broth, tossing with a fork until dough forms a ball.
- 2. On a lightly floured surface, roll out dough to 1/8-in. thickness. Cut with 2-in. cookie cutters dipped in flour. Place 1 in. apart on ungreased baking sheets.
- 3. Brush tops with egg; sprinkle with sesame and/or poppy seeds. Bake at 400° for 10-12 minutes or until lightly browned. Remove to wire racks to cool. Yield: 6 dozen.
1 serving (3 each) equals 105 calories, 6 g fat (4 g saturated fat), 26 mg cholesterol, 161 mg sodium, 8 g carbohydrate, trace fiber, 3 g protein.
Full-Bodied White Wine
Enjoy this recipe with a full-bodied white wine such as Chardonnay or Viognier.