Meet the Cook: If you're looking for a way to "sneak" vegetables into a dish, try this one that looks fancy without the fuss. Now that our two sons are grown, I make it for my husband and me. It is definitely a recipe for company as well, though. -Michele Barneson, Washburn, Wisconsin
- 2 cups diced cooked chicken
- 1/2 cup shredded carrots
- 1/2 cup finely chopped fresh broccoli
- 1/3 cup finely chopped sweet red pepper
- 1 cup (4 ounces) shredded sharp cheddar cheese
- 1/2 cup mayonnaise
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 1/2 teaspoon dill weed
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 2 tubes (8 ounces each) refrigerated crescent rolls
- 1 egg white, beaten
- 2 tablespoons slivered almonds
- In a large bowl, combine the first 10 ingredients. Unroll crescent dough and place in a greased 15-in. x 10-in. x 1-in. baking pan; press seams and seal together, forming a 15-in. x 12-in. rectangle (dough will hang over edges of pan).
- Spread filling lengthwise down the center of the dough. On each long side, cut 1-1/2-in- wide strips 3-1/2-in. into center. Starting at one end, alternate strips, twisting twice and laying at an angle across filling. Seal ends.
- Brush dough with egg white; sprinkle with almonds. Bake at 375° for 30-35 minutes or until golden brown. Cut into slices; serve warm. Yield: 12 servings.
Originally published as Savory Chicken Vegetable Strudel in Country Woman May/June 1999, p31
Full-Bodied White Wine
Enjoy this recipe with a full-bodied white wine such as Chardonnay or Viognier.
Reviews for Savory Chicken Vegetable Strudel
Please Log In or Join to add a rating and review.
Click stars to rate
Any changes to your rating or review will appear where you originally posted your review