Savory Cheese Soup Recipe
- 1 can (14-1/2 ounces) chicken broth
- 1/4 cup chopped carrot
- 1/4 cup chopped celery
- 1 tablespoon chopped onion
- 1 tablespoon chopped sweet red pepper
- 2 teaspoons butter
- 1/8 to 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 2 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 2 tablespoons cold water
- 1 package (3 ounces) cream cheese, cubed
- 3/4 cup shredded cheddar cheese
- 1/3 cup beer or additional chicken broth
- Croutons, crumbled cooked bacon and sliced green onions, optional
- 1. In a 1-1/2-qt. slow cooker, combine the first seven ingredients. Cover and cook on low for 5-6 hours or until vegetables are tender.
- 2. Combine flour and water until smooth; stir into soup. Cover and cook on high for 30 minutes or until thickened.
- 3. Stir in the cream cheese, cheddar cheese and beer. Cover and cook on low for 15 minutes or until cheeses are melted. Top with croutons, bacon and green onions if desired. Yield: 2 servings.
One serving: 1-1/2 cups (prepared with reduced-sodium chicken broth, reduced-fat butter, reduced-fat cream cheese and light beer) equals 259 calories, 13 g fat (8 g saturated fat), 39 mg cholesterol, 1,118 mg sodium, 14 g carbohydrate, 1 g fiber, 19 g protein.