This comforting soup from Ann Huseby of Lakeville, Minnesota is a welcome treat on wintry days. It's so satisfying, you might wish there were leftovers!
- 1 can (14-1/2 ounces) chicken broth
- 1/4 cup chopped carrot
- 1/4 cup chopped celery
- 1 tablespoon chopped onion
- 1 tablespoon chopped sweet red pepper
- 2 teaspoons butter
- 1/8 to 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 2 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 2 tablespoons cold water
- 1 package (3 ounces) cream cheese, cubed
- 3/4 cup shredded cheddar cheese
- 1/3 cup beer or additional chicken broth
- Croutons, crumbled cooked bacon and sliced green onions, optional
- In a 1-1/2-qt. slow cooker, combine the first seven ingredients. Cover and cook on low for 5-6 hours or until vegetables are tender.
- Combine flour and water until smooth; stir into soup. Cover and cook on high for 30 minutes or until thickened.
- Stir in the cream cheese, cheddar cheese and beer. Cover and cook on low for 15 minutes or until cheeses are melted. Top with croutons, bacon and green onions if desired. Yield: 2 servings.
Originally published as Savory Cheese Soup in Cooking for 2 Winter 2005, p58
Reviews for Savory Cheese Soup
Please Log In or Join to add a rating and review.
Click stars to rate
Any changes to your rating or review will appear where you originally posted your review