Savory Cheddar Egg Bake
This do-head dish features three kinds of bread, giving it a deliciously different taste. —Shirley Roby, Johnstown, Ohio
8 ServingsPrep: 10 min. + chilling Bake: 40 min.
- 4 slices each wheat, rye and Italian bread, cut into 1-inch cubes
- 2 cups cubed fully cooked ham
- 2 cups (8 ounces) shredded cheddar cheese, divided
- 1 teaspoon minced fresh parsley
- 1/2 teaspoon dried minced onion
- 1/2 teaspoon dried basil
- 1/8 teaspoon pepper
- 6 eggs
- 2-1/2 cups milk
- Layer half of the bread cubes in a greased 13-in. x 9-in. baking
- dish. Sprinkle with ham and 1 cup cheese. Top with remaining bread
- cubes. Combine the parsley, onion, basil and pepper; sprinkle over
- bread. In a bowl, beat the eggs and milk; pour over the top.
- Sprinkle with remaining cheese. Cover and refrigerate overnight.
- Remove from the refrigerator 30 minutes before baking. Bake,
- uncovered, at 350° for 40-50 minutes or until a knife inserted
- near the center comes out clean. Yield: 8 servings.
Wine: Sparkling Wine: Enjoy this recipe with a sparkling wine.