Savory Cheddar Bread Recipe
I often serve this cheddar bread along with bowls of steaming homemade soup. It helps warm my cattle-raiser husband and our two sons on chilly evenings up here in Canada. Baking for family and neighbors keeps me busy. Just yesterday, when he was here to check the herd, our veterinarian paid me quite a compliment. I served him some cinnamon buns I'd made-and, after tasting them, he said I should open my own coffee shop!
TOTAL TIME: Prep: 20 min. Bake: 45 min. YIELD:12 servings
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 4 teaspoons baking powder
- 1 tablespoon sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon onion salt
- 1/2 teaspoon leaf oregano
- 1/4 teaspoon ground mustard
- 1-1/4 cups shredded sharp cheddar cheese
- 1 egg, well beaten
- 1 cup milk
- 1 tablespoon butter, melted
- 1. Combine flour, baking powder, sugar, onion salt, oregano, dry mustard and cheese; set aside. Combine egg, milk and butter; add all at once to dry ingredients, stirring just until moistened. Spread batter in a greased 8-in. x 4-in. loaf pan. Bake at 350° for 45 minutes. Yield: 1 loaf (12 slices).
1 slice equals 149 calories, 6 g fat (4 g saturated fat), 35 mg cholesterol, 301 mg sodium, 18 g carbohydrate, 1 g fiber, 6 g protein. Diabetic Exchanges: 1-1/2 starch, 1 fat.
© 2014 RDA Enthusiast Brands, LLC