- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 4 teaspoons baking powder
- 1 tablespoon sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon onion salt
- 1/2 teaspoon leaf oregano
- 1/4 teaspoon ground mustard
- 1-1/4 cups shredded sharp cheddar cheese
- 1 egg, well beaten
- 1 cup milk
- 1 tablespoon butter, melted
- Combine flour, baking powder, sugar, onion salt, oregano, dry mustard and cheese; set aside. Combine egg, milk and butter; add all at once to dry ingredients, stirring just until moistened.
- Spread batter in a greased 8x4-in. loaf pan. Bake at 350° for 45 minutes or until a toothpick inserted in center comes out clean. Yield: 1 loaf (12 slices).
Reviews for Savory Cheddar Bread
"This was quick and easy to make, and sliced beautifully, but it lacked flavor. Tasted too bland and floury. I will add a little more "zip" if I make it again."
"This is a 10 star recipe. OMG, this is good, and my family loves it. I bake bread all the time, and cannot believe how easy this recipe is. Thanks so much. From a fellow Canadian, Shannon."
"I love this recipe; it is quick and easy, always well received. If I find I have unused cheddar that is looking like it might start to mold, I shave the top layer off and I make a batch of this bread and pop it in the freezer to use later. Who doesn't like homemade bread?"
"I have made this recipe some 50 times over each time I make back beans and rice.Somehow I lost it and thankfully found it on the web siteGOOD"
"This was really good, and really pretty easy. Let it rest in the pan 5-10 minutes before trying to take it out of the pan. It was good with a Sharp Cheddar."