I often serve this cheddar bread along with bowls of steaming homemade soup. It helps warm my cattle-raiser husband and our two sons on chilly evenings up here in Canada. Baking for family and neighbors keeps me busy. Just yesterday, when he was here to check the herd, our veterinarian paid me quite a compliment. I served him some cinnamon buns I'd made-and, after tasting them, he said I should open my own coffee shop!
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 4 teaspoons baking powder
- 1 tablespoon sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon onion salt
- 1/2 teaspoon leaf oregano
- 1/4 teaspoon ground mustard
- 1-1/4 cups shredded sharp cheddar cheese
- 1 egg, well beaten
- 1 cup milk
- 1 tablespoon butter, melted
- Combine flour, baking powder, sugar, onion salt, oregano, dry mustard and cheese; set aside. Combine egg, milk and butter; add all at once to dry ingredients, stirring just until moistened.
- Spread batter in a greased 8x4-in. loaf pan. Bake at 350° for 45 minutes or until a toothpick inserted in center comes out clean. Yield: 1 loaf (12 slices).
Originally published as Savory Cheddar Bread in Country Woman May/June 1990, p31
Reviews for Savory Cheddar Bread
Please Log In or Join to add a rating and review.
Click stars to rate
Any changes to your rating or review will appear where you originally posted your review