Meet the Cook: If you're looking for a meatless main dish or a hearty side to take to a church potluck or family gathering, this pie is the perfect choice. It's a favorite with my husband and our 14-year-old son, Brett, and daughter Holly, 10. -Debbie Hart, Ft. Wayne, Indiana
- 3 cups seasoned croutons, crushed
- 1/2 cup butter, melted, divided
- 1 small head cauliflower, cut into small florets (about 5 cups)
- 1 cup chopped onion
- 1/2 cup thinly sliced carrots
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 to 1/2 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1 cup (4 ounces) shredded cheddar cheese, divided
- 2 eggs
- 1/4 cup milk
- In a bowl, combine croutons and 1/4 cup butter. Press onto the bottom and up the sides of an ungreased 9-in. pie plate. Bake at 375° for 8 minutes or until lightly browned; set aside.
- In a large skillet, saute the cauliflower, onion, carrots, garlic, salt and oregano in remaining butter over medium heat for 10 minutes, stirring frequently. Sprinkle 1/2 cup cheese into prepared crust. Top with cauliflower mixture and remaining cheese.
- In a bowl, beat the eggs and milk. Pour over pie. Bake, uncovered, at 375° for 30 minutes or until a knife inserted near the center comes out clean and the cauliflower is tender. Yield: 6-8 servings.
Originally published as Savory Cauliflower Pie in Country Woman July/August 1999, p33
Reviews for Savory Cauliflower Pie
Please Log In or Join to add a rating and review.
Click stars to rate
Any changes to your rating or review will appear where you originally posted your review