Savory Butternut Squash Recipe
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 2 to 3 garlic cloves, minced
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 4 cups cubed peeled butternut squash
- 2 cans (14-1/2 ounces each) Italian diced tomatoes
- 1 cup shredded carrots
- 1 teaspoon each minced fresh oregano, basil and parsley or 1/4 teaspoon each dried oregano, basil and parsley flakes
- 1 teaspoon salt, optional
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- Hot cooked rice, optional
- 1. In a small skillet, saute onion and garlic in oil until tender. In a 2-qt. baking dish coated with cooking spray, combine the squash, tomatoes, carrots and seasonings. Stir in the onion mixture.
- 2. Cover and bake at 350° for 60-70 minutes or until squash is tender. Serve over rice if desired. Yield: 8 servings.
1/2 cup: 84 calories, 2g fat (0g saturated fat), 0mg cholesterol, 196mg sodium, 15g carbohydrate (0g sugars, 0g fiber), 2g protein Diabetic Exchanges: 1 starch.
Reviews for Savory Butternut Squash
"Delicious! Used canned tomatoes with chilies in them; gave it a little zing. a quick favorite here. Thanks!"