"The recipe for this tender and flavorful squash came from Russia," writes Natasha Kearns of Philadelphia, Pennsylvania. "My mom used to make this colorful side dish often in summer. It's especially hearty when served over rice."
Featured In: 31 Ways to Love Roasted Veggies
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 2 to 3 garlic cloves, minced
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 4 cups cubed peeled butternut squash
- 2 cans (14-1/2 ounces each) Italian diced tomatoes
- 1 cup shredded carrots
- 1 teaspoon each minced fresh oregano, basil and parsley or 1/4 teaspoon each dried oregano, basil and parsley flakes
- 1 teaspoon salt, optional
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- Hot cooked rice, optional
- In a small skillet, saute onion and garlic in oil until tender. In a 2-qt. baking dish coated with cooking spray, combine the squash, tomatoes, carrots and seasonings. Stir in the onion mixture.
- Cover and bake at 350° for 60-70 minutes or until squash is tender. Serve over rice if desired. Yield: 8 servings.
Originally published as Savory Butternut Squash in Quick Cooking September/October 1998, p57
Reviews for Savory Butternut Squash
Please Log In or Join to add a rating and review.
Click stars to rate
Any changes to your rating or review will appear where you originally posted your review
Reviewed Sep. 19, 2011
"Delicious! Used canned tomatoes with chilies in them; gave it a little zing. a quick favorite here. Thanks!"