Savory Bread Strips Recipe
- 1 package (1/4 ounces) active dry yeast
- 6-1/2 teaspoons sugar, divided
- 1/2 cup warm water (110° to 115°)
- 3 tablespoons olive oil
- 2 tablespoons dried minced onion
- 2 teaspoons dried basil
- 1 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1 teaspoon rubbed sage
- 1 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1/2 cup cold water
- 3 cups all-purpose flour
- 1-1/2 cups chopped fully cooked ham
- 1 cup shredded Parmesan cheese
- 1/2 cup chopped ripe olives
- 1/2 cup chopped onion
- 1/2 cup minced fresh parsley
- 1/4 cup olive oil
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 1. Dissolve yeast and 1/2 teaspoon sugar in warm water; set aside. In a saucepan, combine oil, onion, basil, oregano, sage and garlic powder; cook over medium heat for 1 minute. Remove from the heat; stir in cold water. In a bowl, combine flour and remaining sugar. Stir in oil and yeast mixture. Turn onto a lightly floured surface; knead for 3 minutes. Place dough on a greased 15-in. x 10-in. x 1-in. baking pan. Cover and let stand for 15 minutes. Pat dough evenly into pan. Combine topping ingredients; sprinkle over dough. Bake at 375° for 25-30 minutes or until well browned. Cut into 2-in. x 1-in. strips. Yield: about 6 dozen.
2 each: 88 calories, 4g fat (1g saturated fat), 5mg cholesterol, 129mg sodium, 10g carbohydrate (1g sugars, 1g fiber), 3g protein.
Reviews for Savory Bread Strips
"best hors d'oeuvre I ever tasted!"
"I made this recipe for a confirmation reception at our church. They went over really well."
"I have taken this recipe everywhere, everyone loves it!"
Light-Bodied White Wine
Enjoy this recipe with a light-bodied white wine such as Sauvignon Blanc or Pinot Grigio.