Savory Bread Strips Recipe
For a friend's surprise party, I decided to try a new recipe and came up with this crispy bread topped with ham, olives and more. The savory ingredients in this irresistible appetizer blend so well that I'm always asked for the recipe. —Mary Nichols, Dover, New Hampshire
- 1 package (1/4 ounces) active dry yeast
- 6-1/2 teaspoons sugar, divided
- 1/2 cup warm water (110° to 115°)
- 3 tablespoons olive oil
- 2 tablespoons dried minced onion
- 2 teaspoons dried basil
- 1 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1 teaspoon rubbed sage
- 1 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1/2 cup cold water
- 3 cups all-purpose flour
- 1-1/2 cups chopped fully cooked ham
- 1 cup shredded Parmesan cheese
- 1/2 cup chopped ripe olives
- 1/2 cup chopped onion
- 1/2 cup minced fresh parsley
- 1/4 cup olive oil
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- Dissolve yeast and 1/2 teaspoon sugar in warm water; set aside. In a saucepan, combine oil, onion, basil, oregano, sage and garlic powder; cook over medium heat for 1 minute. Remove from the heat; stir in cold water. In a bowl, combine flour and remaining sugar. Stir in oil and yeast mixture. Turn onto a lightly floured surface; knead for 3 minutes. Place dough on a greased 15-in. x 10-in. x 1-in. baking pan. Cover and let stand for 15 minutes. Pat dough evenly into pan. Combine topping ingredients; sprinkle over dough. Bake at 375° for 25-30 minutes or until well browned. Cut into 2-in. x 1-in. strips. Yield: about 6 dozen.
Originally published as Savory Bread Strips in Taste of Home October/November 1997, p25
Light-Bodied White Wine
Enjoy this recipe with a light-bodied white wine such as Sauvignon Blanc or Pinot Grigio.
Reviews for Savory Bread Strips
Please Log In or Join to add a rating and review.
Click stars to rate
Any changes to your rating or review will appear where you originally posted your review
Sort By :
Reviewed Dec. 22, 2012
"I made this recipe for a confirmation reception at our church. They went over really well."
Reviewed Dec. 8, 2010
"I have taken this recipe everywhere, everyone loves it!"