Savory Braised Beef
FOR the first time in 23 years, I'm again cooking for two. It's quite an adjustment, but I'm getting adept at making the changes.
But my husband and I enjoy this delicious dishwith meat, potatoes and vegetables, it's a meal in itself. Eva Knight
Nashua, New Hampshire
2 ServingsPrep: 10 min. Cook: 2 hours 5 min.
- 1/2 pound boneless beef chuck roast
- 3/4 cup water
- 1 small apple, thinly sliced
- 1 small onion, thinly sliced
- 1/4 teaspoon salt, optional
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 4 small new potatoes, halved
- 2 cabbage wedges (about 2 inches thick)
- 1 can (14-1/2 ounces) stewed tomatoes
- 1-1/2 teaspoons cornstarch
- 1-1/2 teaspoons water
- Trim fat from meat and cut into 1-in. cubes; brown in a skillet
- coated with cooking spray. Add water, apple, onion, salt if desired
- and pepper. Cover and simmer for 1-1/4 hours.
- Add potatoes and cabbage; cover and simmer for 35 minutes or until
- vegetables are tender. Stir in tomatoes; cover and simmer for 10
- minutes. Blend cornstarch and water; stir into skillet. Bring to a
- boil; cook and stir for 2 minutes. Yield: 2 servings.
Nutritional Facts:Diabetic Exchanges: One serving (prepared without salt) equals 3 lean met, 2 starch, 2 vegetable, 1/2 fruit; also, 401 calories, 560 mg sodium, 101 mg cholesterol, 46 gm carbohydrate, 38 gm protein, 13 gm fat.