FOR the first time in 23 years, I'm again cooking for two. It's quite an adjustment, but I'm getting adept at making the changes. But my husband and I enjoy this delicious dish—with meat, potatoes and vegetables, it's a meal in itself. —Eva Knight Nashua, New Hampshire
- 1/2 pound boneless beef chuck roast
- 3/4 cup water
- 1 small apple, thinly sliced
- 1 small onion, thinly sliced
- 1/4 teaspoon salt, optional
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 4 small new potatoes, halved
- 2 cabbage wedges (about 2 inches thick)
- 1 can (14-1/2 ounces) stewed tomatoes
- 1-1/2 teaspoons cornstarch
- 1-1/2 teaspoons water
- Trim fat from meat and cut into 1-in. cubes; brown in a skillet coated with cooking spray. Add water, apple, onion, salt if desired and pepper. Cover and simmer for 1-1/4 hours.
- Add potatoes and cabbage; cover and simmer for 35 minutes or until vegetables are tender. Stir in tomatoes; cover and simmer for 10 minutes. Blend cornstarch and water; stir into skillet. Bring to a boil; cook and stir for 2 minutes. Yield: 2 servings.
Originally published as Savory Braised Beef in Reminisce Extra December 1996, p47
Reviews for Savory Braised Beef
Please Log In or Join to add a rating and review.
Click stars to rate
Any changes to your rating or review will appear where you originally posted your review
Reviewed May. 13, 2013
"We really like this one. I added a little sage and thyme to season. I'm also going to cut down the amount of potatoes in future versions - 4 potatoes was a bit much for us."