FOR the first time in 23 years, I'm again cooking for two. It's quite an adjustment, but I'm getting adept at making the changes. But my husband and I enjoy this delicious dish—with meat, potatoes and vegetables, it's a meal in itself. —Eva Knight Nashua, New Hampshire
- 1/2 pound boneless beef chuck roast
- 3/4 cup water
- 1 small apple, thinly sliced
- 1 small onion, thinly sliced
- 1/4 teaspoon salt, optional
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 4 small new potatoes, halved
- 2 cabbage wedges (about 2 inches thick)
- 1 can (14-1/2 ounces) stewed tomatoes
- 1-1/2 teaspoons cornstarch
- 1-1/2 teaspoons water
- Trim fat from meat and cut into 1-in. cubes; brown in a skillet coated with cooking spray. Add water, apple, onion, salt if desired and pepper. Cover and simmer for 1-1/4 hours.
- Add potatoes and cabbage; cover and simmer for 35 minutes or until vegetables are tender. Stir in tomatoes; cover and simmer for 10 minutes. Blend cornstarch and water; stir into skillet. Bring to a boil; cook and stir for 2 minutes. Yield: 2 servings.
Originally published as Savory Braised Beef in Reminisce Extra December 1996, p47
Reviews for Savory Braised Beef
Please Log In or Join to add a rating and review.
Click stars to rate
Any changes to your rating or review will appear where you originally posted your review
Sort By :
Reviewed May. 13, 2013
"We really like this one. I added a little sage and thyme to season. I'm also going to cut down the amount of potatoes in future versions - 4 potatoes was a bit much for us."